Monday, July 27, 2015

It's Gone

In May of 2011 Jordan developed an autoimmune disorder in her eye.  No one could tell us why although if we didn't get her to the doctor when we did she could have gone blind.  I remember the first time we saw the doctor he said "Wow, you have a high tolerance for pain, if you were an adult you would have been her months ago."



PanUveitis is the eye condition that Jordan had.  Had as in it is GONE! After 3 years of traveling back and forth to Boston, the doctor has released her and she doesn't have to go back for a whole year.  After traveling there every 6 weeks in the beginning and then every 3 months for the following 3 years, we now can wait a whole year before we go back.  I am so excited for Jordan and cannot believe it is gone.  The doctor thinks it was a one time thing and that she won't get it again.  Let's pray for that.


Training has been put on hold.  The same day we found out Jordan's PanUveitis was gone I twisted my ankle.  I was walking the dog and all of a sudden I was on the ground.  The pain was unbelievable.  I saw white, felt nauseous and thought I was going to pass out.  As I sat there I thought can I walk, can I do this.  I said to myself "I can go this."  I got up and quickly realized I could not, my legs were shaking and I sat right back down.  After another few minutes I got up and walked home.


I went straight into my room and laid down with my leg propped up.  As I lay there I assessed the situation. 1. Did anything else hurt? No it was probably the pain that made me feel like passing out. 2. Was my ankle movable? Yes, it hurt like hell but it wasn't broken. 3. Could I walk on it? Yes, although painful I could wrap it and continue with my day. 4. What could I do to help with the healing process? I made turmeric and ginger tea with fresh turmeric and ginger root.  I drank my tea all day and iced my ankle when I got home.


 I have been reading Scott Juker's book "Eat & Run".  He talks a lot about mind over matter and how our bodies can handle more than our minds can. As I was sitting on the ground I knew I had hurt myself but I also knew that I could get through this.  So even though my training has been put on hold I think I am going to recover more quickly than I have in the past.


I am amazed at how well the turmeric and ginger tea has helped with the swelling and how great I feel.  I cannot wait to start running again, I am looking forward to pushing myself.

No comments: