Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Crazy 2 weeks

The past 2 weeks of our lives have been crazy.

On August 3, 2010 my daughter had a seizure in the back of my car. Thank God we were right by the police station and there was an officer leaving at exactly the time I pulled up. His quick response in getting us help got my daughter to the hospital within 20 minutes of the start so her seizure. When we arrived at the hospital the ER staff was ready and waiting for us. They did an excellent job of taking care of our little girl while keeping us informed of what was going on.

After about 4 hours we were finally able to see her. She was in the PICU hooked up to lots of different machines and she did not look like herself. They informed us that they were trying to get her brain to stop seizing and they were having trouble doing that. I stayed with her all night and watch the EEG machine monitor her brain. Finally at about 3:30 Wednesday morning the seizures stopped. When the doctors came in Wednesday they informed us that they were not sure what was going to happen. They could not tell us why she has the seizure or what the out come was going to be. She was in critical state and they felt that if she waked up there would be some issues with her, and there was a possibility that she might not wake up. I can tell you no one should have to go through this. You can only imagine what it was like to hear that your baby might not make it. Over the next 11 days she was in a medically induced coma. She was on more medication then you can think of and her body processed some of it very fast.

On Wednesday August 11, 2010 they finally weened her off of the medications that were keeping her in a coma. I know some people where hoping she would just wake up and start talking, although I never thought that would be the case. It has now been a week and we are seeing little progress.

She listens to simple commands like sticking out her tongue or rolling over. She knows my voice and calms down very fast when I talk to her.

The road ahead of us is going to be a long one and I can not wait for the day when she is able to say Momma again!

No comments: