Saturday, July 5, 2008

Troubling Times

Something that has really been bothering me lately is people. I do not know if it is because I just went and saw "The Happening" and then " The Bee Movie" right after or if the Pearl Jam concert really got me thinking.

I was watching a TV show with my children last night, they are 11, 9 and 6. As we sat watching I thought what is wrong with this. The kids in this show have no respect for authority and they think they should be able to do whatever they want. This make no sense to me. I am raising my kids to understand that they should respect people even if they do not like them and that there are consequences to the choice you make. Then they watch TV and get a totally different message. I never knew how much this bothered me until recently.

We always watch TV together and talk about the shows, and it made me think about all the kids out there who don't have that. They are watching these shows and thinking there is nothing wrong with the ways children are acting in them. It is very sad.

As I was talking to Lori about this she brought up another very good point. Children in TV shows or Movies usually don't tell there parents about the awful or difficult things that are happening to them. Another mistake because if my child was in trouble I would want to be the first person they come to. I want them to feel safe enough to be able to tell me anything.

So hopefully I am doing my job correctly, as their parent, and they will come to me. I hope that I have instilled enough values in them to make the right choices. I know that they are not perfect and they know this as well. Why because I am always telling them NOBODY IS PERFECT!

No comments: