Tuesday, October 5, 2010


It is funny to think that when all this started it was easier for me when she was in a coma. Yesterday Jordan went for her MRI and I was as nervous as could be. She couldn’t eat so first I had to deal with that. She is used to getting up at 7:00 having breakfast and then eating for the rest of the day. She is a grazer, so not eating all day was very hard for her. She made it through though.

The hardest part for her was the IV she needed because she had to be sedated for the MRI. When you get an MRI you cannot move or the pictured will not come out and the test will have to be redone. Jordan was not happy about the IV so they gave her a numbing patch before they put it in. As we sat there waiting she was getting more and more agitated so instead of waiting they put the IV in right away. She cried and Jeff held her, but she made it through. When it was over she was more relaxed and could not wait for the MRI to start.

I on the other hand could have waited a life time. I was so nervous about the test and what the sedation medication would do to her. As we walked into the MRI room I thought I was going to pass out. The machine is so big, while the tube is so small. Being that I am claustrophobic the thought of lying in a small tube for an hour scared the crap out of me.

The technician looked at Jordan and said “Do you want to watch your movie and try this without the medication.” Jordan jumped all over that. She lay in the bed, put the goggles on and hooked up the head phones. Jeff and I got to stay in the room with her, which was equally as hard for me. The technician told us that she would try the first 2 tests to see how Jordan did; if everything went okay they would continue with the other tests.

I think it was the longest 3 minutes of my life. Not only is the machine loud, and the tube small, I was so worried about her moving that I didn’t know if I could make it through. Funny how this whole experience has been easy for me except for this. I know when she was in a coma I could not control anything, although I could watch the machines and know how she was doing. I helped her when she came out of the coma and as she has gotten better I have been there every step of the way. With this there was nothing I could do except sit and wait. I could not even look at the test to see how it looked, not that I would know if there was something wrong anyway.

After the first 2 test the technician talked to Jordan and she said “I’m okay, I can do this.” So they continued with all the tests. She did move through one of them, the 5 minute test, although they did it again and she did great. There we 6 tests that lasted anywhere from 3 minutes to 5 ½ minutes. Those were the longest minutes of my life.

After the tests were done, which took about 45 minutes, she came out of the tube “I didn’t really need the IV” Funny how she picked up on that right away. I started to cry when she came out. I was so proud of her and overcome with emotion because I am not sure that I could have done as well as she did. She knew that she would be able to stay still for the test and she was not intimidated by the machine or the noise. I was so amazed by her strength and determination.

Jordan had a wonderful day. She did an awesome job and now we have to wait for the results. Thanks for the continued love and support.

No comments: